Playlist for the week of December 3, 2018:
- In Hell I’ll be Good Company by The Dead South: a coworker showed this to me; while I normally don’t like music this “twangy,” this song caught my attention because of how catchy it is; I challenge anybody to listen to this without whistling that intro.
- The Man Who Has Everything by Chance the Rapper: Chance surprised us all with two new songs last weekend, this one is my favorite; love the sample and subject matter in this track.
- Hot Box by JID. f/ Method Man and Joey Bada$$: Classic NY right here with Mef and Joey coming to help JID out; easily my favorite track off JID’s new album DiCaprio 2.
- Love Letters by Kelly Lester: another track recommended by a co-worker; beautiful, timeless song.
- In Dreams by Roy Orbison: listened to a lot of music with my co-workers last week but this is yet another great recommendation; this song and Love Letters are both from the movie, Blue Velvet.
- December 24 by Earl Sweatshirt: heard first at the FlogGnaw festival last year under the name Bad Acid (video below); off his new album, Some Rap Songs, out now!
- Riot! by Earl Sweatshirt: last track off Earl’s new album; samples Hugh Masekela and Earl shows him love by ending his last line on the album with “my uncle Hugh” before the sample drops…ending the album.
- last year (2017), my homie Brian and I went to the Camp FlogGnaw Carnival to see Earl Sweatshirt. Both songs in the video below are from the album he just released, Some Rap Songs. It was a trip to hear these songs live before hearing them on the record…
- Scene from Blue Velvet: