Playlist for the week of February 11, 2019:
- Sundress by A$AP Rocky: trippy, psychedelic A$AP music is my favorite. Everyone was kind of railing on this song when it came out but I like the direction this song took and I don’t think it was too far from what Rocky has been showing on his last few albums. This track is in the same vein as L$D or Kids Turned Out Fine.
- Locationships by YBN Cordae: Hip Hop has a tradition of making songs dedicated to experiences with the opposite sex. (See: Girls by The Beastie Boys and Girls, Girls, Girls by Jay-Z). While the subject matter can be difficult to approach, I think YBN does a good job of keeping it light and respectful. He harkens back to Jay-Z with the “put your number on this paper” line and he expertly flows through women from Nigeria to Chino Hills; until he finally comes clean on his last line: “This player shit is in my dreams.”
- Just Let Go by Joyner Lucas and Chris Brown: That new new from Joyner and Breezy. Still waiting on that joint album but this single was a nice surprise. Chris Brown continues to impress with his rapping skills.
- 82 92 by Termanology and Statik Selektah f/ Mac Miller: My weekly blast from the past started with Statik Selektah and Termanology’s group 1982. That led me to this 2011 track with another superb performance by Mac Miller, RIP. Check out the classic video below and take a walk down memory lane.
- I Took a Pill in Ibiza by Mike Posner: After listening to Posner’s album, A Real Good Kid, I started bumping his old music. I forgot how beautiful this song is. A nice trip down memory lane.
- lolsmh – Interlude by Boogie: Two Boogie songs in two weeks can mean only one thing: Everything’s For Sale is an early contender for album of the year. Even though this track is just an interlude, Boogie spits some of his realest lines and it’s also the one track I continue to come back to. Favorite line: “I love it if you hate me, I hate that you fucking love me”
- BLACKJACK (remix) by Amine f/ YBN Cordae: I know, I know…. I put this song on my last playlist. This iteration however, is the motherfucking remix and it’s got a fire verse from YBN Cordae. The original is one of my favorite songs of the moment and the remix somehow supplanted it. Please check out both these artists when you get a chance because they are young, hungry and making great music.