For this week’s steez you can hear I’m going back to a more free form style. This is what I’m listening to now kinda thing. The songs below have been in my rotation for a couple weeks now. Check out the playlist and the writeup which includes some of my favorite lyrics below…
Playlist for the week of October 22, 2019:
- Atmosphere by Joy Division: love the vibe of this song. it’s dark, haunting and intensely beautiful.
- favorite lyric: “people like you find it easy”
- There is a Light that Never Goes Out by The Smiths: never really listened to The Smiths until recently but this track just grabbed me. it’s another dark and haunting track but it also acts as a pretty great love song.
- favorite lyric: “to die by your side is such a heavenly way to die”
- If I Ever Feel Better by Phoenix: a stark contrast to the first two tracks on this playlist vibe-wise but very similar content-wise. this song just makes me tap my feet and want to sing the lyrics as loud as possible.
- favorite lyric: “now I know there’s much more dignity//In defeat than in the brightest victory”
- Space Age Love Song by A Flock of Seagulls: not a huge fan of quintessential “80’s music” but this song caught me in a way that I didn’t expect. certainly spacey and definitely 80’s; this track also carries a feel that puts me in a certain period and moment of time.
- favorite lyric: “I saw your eyes//And you made me smile”
- Hercules by Common f/ Swizz Beatz: Common’s most recent album “Let Love” was pretty great and this track packs a punch that I didn’t think Common had in his repertoire anymore. Swizz Beatz punctuates this song with his classic bravado as well.
- favorite lyric: “Vast is the task that grasp the mask cast//Over the mass that dash for cash that last fast”
- Dead Body by Aidyproof Presents f/ Bas and AKA Keyz: word up to the homie Long who put me onto this. I like the song as a whole but it’s real reason for the inclusion on this playlist is Bas’ verse…which is impeccable.
- favorite lyric: “Look in your eyes and I cry as I plummet//Just to get by I get high as the summit” – Bas
- 33 by Caleborate: Caleborate is an underrated artist who I hope will get his moment in the spotlight soon. his punchlines and flow on this song are amazing and I look forward to everything coming from him in the future.
- favorite lyric: “so let me just gas this shit like crash the whip, I’m showing off on accident”
R.I.P. Ian Curtis…